Wednesday 7 May 2008

This is just to say

I know the man
across the road
gave you the pallet
of eggs possibly

as a thank-you gift
for being so kind
to his cat
or as a gesture

not so easily exchanged
between even men
who have known
one another for the longest

time
but I started
at two for breakfast
on that first morning

and went back
for several more
that evening and
though I knew you

were saving some
for your week-end
plans to make breakfast
in bed

for your girlfriend
I couldn't resist
polishing them off
with a speed

I believe
had you seen
you would
have marveled at

2 comments:

farmdoc said...

Whew. One long sentence. I didn't think you'd get there, but you made it. Good effort. Maybe eating all those eggs helped get you over the line, Em.

Meg said...

just read this. love it! has she left yet? love, (m)egg. xx